Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Toilet training seems to be underway!

Yesterday I noticed Gaby running out of the lounge & into the bathroom twice - to do wees!!! There was absolutely NO prompting from me - so that makes me realise that she IS ready to do this toilet training thing, and it also made me realise that it can't be forced. It's all very good me telling her to sit on the toilet & do wees, but she needs to learn for *herself*, what it feels like when she needs to go to the toilet - and to go when she feels that way.

Whenever she does wees or poos on the toilet, I congratulate her and tell her how proud I am of her, what a big girl she is - and then we high five - and she usually runs off after that to high five the cat! She seems to get a big buzz out of being able to wear 'undies', and whenever she puts them on she says "tell Mum if need do wees" - which impresses me, because it means she understands that she isn't meant to do wees in her undies. & heck, she looks so cute running around in her big girl undies!!!

It is a little sad though - all the things that made Gaby a baby are disappearing...
She is communicating by talking now, rather than crying
She is sleeping in a single bed, rather than in a cot or bassinet
She is starting to wear undies more & more & is going to the toilet, rather than needing me to change her nappy
... it's amazing, my little baby girls is now a child, doing more and more for herself each day - soon she isn't going to need me for anything, well, she won't depend on me as much...

I love being a Mummy.. and I'm so proud of my Gaby... and I guess in a way, proud of myself - because she is happy, healthy & developing as she should be. And heck - she's just gorgeous!

0 comments: